Friday, November 27, 2009

Salvation Army at Wal-Mart

Since the Salvation Army started collecting in Howard County Debbie and I have always worked on "Black Friday" in front of the Nashville Wal-Mart. Our shift is always from 10 to 11 and we always have a good time. If you stand out in front of Wal-Mart on the Friday after Thanksgiving you can see almost everybody you know as they come and go. We have worked when it was really cold when the wind was blowing hard. Today was very pleasant in the bright sunshine. One of the things I like about the Salvation Army donation is that most of the money collected stays in Howard County. One of the things I have learned over the years is that it is those who appear to be least able to contribute that seem to be the most consistent givers. All of the volunteers work one hour shifts. The picture below is Budd Dunson who came in at 11 to take over from Debbie and me. I appreciate the many hours the volunteers will put in over the next 4 weeks keeping the bucket manned. I expect that Debbie and I will each work another shift or two before it is all said and done.

No comments: