Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Friend David Hausam Went Home

My good friend David Hausam went Home to be with the Lord yesterday morning. I am very, very sad - I loved him and I will miss him. Please join me in praying for his wife Cindy and his two sons, grandkids, and the rest of his family. He was a good guy and I can imagine that Heaven will enjoy his hearty laugh and easy smile. I just hope that his snoring (he was capable of incredible volume) doesn't disrupt Heaven too much. Bye Dave - I will miss you.
Former State House Member Hausam Dies
Last updated Saturday, April 25, 2009 11:15 PM CDT in News
By Doug ThompsonTHE MORNING NEWS
Former state Rep. David C. Hausam, R-Bentonville, “a big man with a big personality, a big heart and a big laugh,” was found dead at his home Saturday, his friend and House successor Rep. Tim Summers, R-Bentonville, confirmed Saturday.
Hausam, 62, represented District 99 in Bentonville until forced out by term limits in 2003. He was the former House chairman of the Joint Performance Review Committee and a Republican who had a reputation of being able to work across party lines, earning the respect of members from both major parties.
“He was a good family man” and an active member of the Living Waters Methodist Church in Centerton, Summers said. Hausam is survived by his wife, Cindy, and two sons.
The popular Hausam encouraged and supported Summers bid for the House and the candidacy of Summers’ predecessor in that seat, Horace Hardwick of Bentonville. Hausam worked as governmental relations consultant for Waste Management of Springdale at the time of his death.
Hausam lost a bid for the state Senate in 2002 to Sen. Kim Hendren, R-Gravette.
Even after leaving the legislature, Hausam was generous with his experience with the law-making process, said former state Rep. Eric Harris, R-Springdale. “I regarded him almost as a colleague,” Harris said. “He took me under his wing when I was a freshman and taught me all about legislative procedure. We still talked several times a week. I feel like I’ve lost a family member.”
One of Hausam’s greatest accomplishments was after he left the House, former legislator Hardwick said. Hausam became a lobbyist and advocate for school reform and played a “huge role,” Hardwick said.
Hausam and his wife had been working in their yard Saturday and gone inside their home to rest, Summers said. Hausam apparently died in his chair while resting, Summers said. Cause of death had not be announced as of Saturday evening.

4 comments:

George Wheatley said...

David Hausam was a workmate, a great friend and a source of balance in difficult times. I have never seen a gentleman with as many contacts, and yet, never a negative word when people were describing him. David, my friend, you lived a good life here on earth. As a result, you are now experiencing your Reward in Heaven. I will surely miss you.

David Servies said...

David Hausam was a great confidant and was always willing to help his fellow man. During my period of unemployment he was always there to listen and help me through this troubling time. I will miss this "great man." My prayers to Cindy and his family.

Eric Harris said...

David was a great statesman and friend. He always had a great story to tell. His humor was great and he always had a way of making a sarcastic comment but making you laugh along with him. He loved a great practical joke. David we will all miss you and will see you again brother!

Kevin Smith said...

David was a great legislator and friend. On 9/11 we found ourselves riding across the state together and I remember how angry he got as we began to see the gas prices going steadily up as we got closer to Springdale on 412. It wasn't long before he was on the phone to the AG's Office, and before the day was over the AG was on our radio warning of price gauging... your legislator in action. He was on the other side of the isle, but we worked well together in the best bipartisan way. I will miss you Dave!