Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Poverty Task Force and Income Taxes

It was a miserable drive to Little Rock yesterday in the rain. Visibility was low and traffic was moving slow and it rained fairly hard all the way from Nashville to Little Rock. I am thankful for the rain and I will be thankful for the sunshine when it comes back.

Senator Elliot passed legislation creating the Poverty Task Force and President Pro Tempore Bob Johnson appointed me to the Task Force. We had our first meeting yesterday. I was pleased with the group of appointees on the Task Force and I look forward to working with them. In the five counties I represent there is a significant percentage of the population below the poverty level; Hempstead County 21.5%, Howard County 18.4%, Pike County 17.6%, Polk County 19.4% and Sevier County 18.4% based on 2007 numbers from the Census Bureau.

My friend and accountant had our tax returns ready and I met him at his office and received the news. The news could have been worse and I will put the returns in the mail today.

No comments: