Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saturday - Farm Bureau, Black History and Basketball

Saturday morning started pretty early with a pancake breakfast hosted by the Hempstead, Howard, Pike and Sevier County Farm Bureau boards. My Hempstead County friends were in charge of the pancake, bacon and sausage cooking and they did a really good job. I continue to be dieting and trying not to eat "carbs" so it was very difficult for me to not have just one pancake. My colleagues Representative Cole and Stewart were there. We each spoke a few minutes and then we took questions. I always enjoy the question sessions. I believe Representative Powers attend a funeral or he would have been with us also. We started about 7:30 and were finished sometime shortly after 9:00.

After the Farm Bureau breakfast Representative Cole and I moved to my office and met with a constituent with concerns about sales tax issues with Farmers Markets.

Saturday was the last day of Black History Month and I was glad to attend the Black History Banquet in Hope at the Rising Star Church. This is the second year I have attended it. I always learn something from the speaker and I make new friends. You may recall that Mrs. Gloria McFadden and I were Grand Marshall's at the Black History Parade a couple of weeks ago (by my humble estimation we were the best Grand Marshall's the parade had ever had.). Vincent Wesley, the President of the Black Historical Society in Hope, gave me a nice certificate and a good picture of Mrs. McFadden and me. Vincent works hard as President and I appreciate his efforts. Other certificates were given for the parade winners and other awards. The photo below is of all of us who were awarded certificates.

After the Banquet I cut back over to Saratoga to catch the end of the "A" regional basketball tournament. Bradley and Nevada County boys played a good game. I had forgotten how much fun those games can be. Bradley won but Nevada County could have tied just missing a lay up as the buzzer sounded.

No comments: