Friday, December 21, 2007

Letter to Editors re: Creche & Nativity at Capitol

December 21, 2007

Glenwood Herald (Published in Thursday, December 27, 2007 edition)
Hope Star

Dear Editor:

During this time of year when we Christians celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, there is always someone who wants to object to our celebration of His birth.

I read in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette that a group from Wisconsin has written a letter to Governor Mike Beebe complaining about the Creche and the Nativity on the Capitol grounds. They quote Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation Inc as saying, “Placing this shack on the Capitol lawn not only is jarring and unaesthetic, but sends an unlawful message of endorsement of Christianity and its most holy day to all onlookers.”

To steal a phrase from the venerable Mr. Scrooge, BAH HUMBUG, BAH HUMBUG on them. I absolutely support Ms Gaylor’s and the members of her organization’s rights to free speech and their right to worship or not worship any god that they so choose but just as importantly I believe that we, you and I, have the right to worship God and to celebrate the Savior’s birth.

It is appropriate for Arkansas to display the Creche and the Nativity on the Capitol grounds. I appreciate Governor Beebe’s statement that he supported the display. Secretary of State Charlie Daniels office is in charge of the Capitol and the grounds. A spokesman for Daniels is quoted in the Dem-Gaz article as saying that “the display doesn’t violate the Constitution because it is not prominently displayed.”

I love the Nativity scene. I see no violation of any laws or of the Constitution in its being displayed on the Capitol grounds, as it has been since 1948. I hate it when I read or hear someone say, “Happy Holidays;” to me, it is and will always be Christmas, and the appropriate greeting is MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion, and I hope everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Larry Teague

No comments: